Back to All Events

Government Assistance for Flooded Families

The Maplewood North/South Civic Association, which includes many flooded homes, provided this summary of information gleaned from the June 3 FEMA meeting at Fondren Middle School:

For Those Who Flooded

  • City of Houston Registration
    • Register with the city by calling 311.
  • FEMA Information
    • Register with FEMA. Note: calling 311 does NOT register with FEMA. You must do both.
    • FEMA inspectors in the field will:
      • wear FEMA attire
      • show FEMA credentials
      • ask about your damage
    • FEMA has opened a Disaster Mobile Assistance Centers (DMAC) at the Meyerland Community Improvement Association building at 4999 West Bellfort. It will be open for approximately one week
    • City and FEMA flood assistance services are FREE.
    • Price gouging (for repairs, etc.) is illegal and should be reported to the state of Texas Attorney General’s office.
  • Solid Waste Pickup: Extra crews picking up flood debris over the next few weeks will make several passes.
  • City Permitting: Repairs DO require city permitting. Types and levels of permits needed for flood events are somewhat complicated however.
    • Homes in the flood plain with damage less than $10,000 do NOT require a Floodplain Development Permit before starting actual repairs.
    • Homes in the flood plain with damage $10,000 or greater* MUST OBTAIN a Floodplain Development Permit before starting actual repairs. Note: pulling out damaged flooring, walls, and contents is not considered making repairs.
    • Homes in the flood plain with damage greater than 50% of the pre-damage market value of the structure* MUST OBTAIN a Floodplain Development Permit AND must comply with elevation and floodplain performance standards before starting actual repairs.
    • *If you fall into a category that requires a Floodplain Development Permit, you should contact the city’s Floodplain Management Office at 832-394-8854 or
  • Frequently Asked Questions: The city had prepared a comprehensive FAQ document that you may find useful. It is posted at:

If you are aware of an unoccupied home that flooded, contact 311 to report it.

Earlier Event: June 7
Youth, Activity Center Renovations
Later Event: June 11
An Insider's Journey through China