The Maplewood North/South Civic Association, which includes many flooded homes, provided this summary of information gleaned from the June 3 FEMA meeting at Fondren Middle School:
For Those Who Flooded
- City of Houston Registration
- Register with the city by calling 311.
- FEMA Information
- Register with FEMA. Note: calling 311 does NOT register with FEMA. You must do both.
- FEMA inspectors in the field will:
- wear FEMA attire
- show FEMA credentials
- ask about your damage
- FEMA has opened a Disaster Mobile Assistance Centers (DMAC) at the Meyerland Community Improvement Association building at 4999 West Bellfort. It will be open for approximately one week
- City and FEMA flood assistance services are FREE.
- Price gouging (for repairs, etc.) is illegal and should be reported to the state of Texas Attorney General’s office.
- Solid Waste Pickup: Extra crews picking up flood debris over the next few weeks will make several passes.
- City Permitting: Repairs DO require city permitting. Types and levels of permits needed for flood events are somewhat complicated however.
- Homes in the flood plain with damage less than $10,000 do NOT require a Floodplain Development Permit before starting actual repairs.
- Homes in the flood plain with damage $10,000 or greater* MUST OBTAIN a Floodplain Development Permit before starting actual repairs. Note: pulling out damaged flooring, walls, and contents is not considered making repairs.
- Homes in the flood plain with damage greater than 50% of the pre-damage market value of the structure* MUST OBTAIN a Floodplain Development Permit AND must comply with elevation and floodplain performance standards before starting actual repairs.
- *If you fall into a category that requires a Floodplain Development Permit, you should contact the city’s Floodplain Management Office at 832-394-8854 or email@example.com.
- Frequently Asked Questions: The city had prepared a comprehensive FAQ document that you may find useful. It is posted at:
If you are aware of an unoccupied home that flooded, contact 311 to report it.