St. Paul’s Family prepares for the celebration of the birth of Christ in many ways. On this page are dates and basic descriptions of most of the churchwide Advent activities.
The Giving Tree in Jones Building Foyer will receive presents for children in need. Please place food, clothing, and toys under the big Christmas tree.
First Week of Advent
Sunday, November 29.
- Advent: Theology, History, and Traditions, a Chapel Lectures Advent study led by Rev. Danny Yang begins in the Trinity Bible Class. 9:45 a.m. in the Chapel.
- The First Christmas, an Advent study based on the book by Marcus J. Borg and John Dominic Crossan, led by Rev. Rick Goodrich begins in The Candlelighters class. 9:45 a.m. in S-109.
- GROW 2nd-5th-graders begin Advent unit, “Prophecies and Miracles,” with workshops Songs, Symbols, Stars and Signs. 9:45-10:45 a.m. JB Basement.
- Children's Ministries table on the Plaza with Advent devotional booklets illustrated by St. Paul's children and information about seasonal activities.
Monday, November 30.
Preparing for Christmas: Daily Reflections for Advent by Richard Rohr is the text for an Advent study led by Dr. Randy Zercher. 6:30 p.m. in the Fellers Room (S-312).
Wednesday, December 2.
Midweek Service of Holy Communion with Advent liturgy. 12:15 p.m. Chapel. Homilist: Dr. Bill Gandin.
Saturday, December 5.
Kids Day Out. 10 a.m.-3 p.m. A day of games, crafts, snacks, and supervised activities for children ages four months to 5th grade. $25/child plus $5 for each additional sibling. Lunch is served. RSVP required to email@example.com.
Second Week of Advent
Sunday, December 6.
- Alternative Gift Market. Fair trade, environmentally sustainable artisan items from around the world for sale. + ways to support our local ministries. 9 a.m.- 1 p.m. Activity Center.
- Advent Lessons and Carols. St. Paul’s Choir and the Treble Choir lead one of the most beloved and transporting services of the season. Sanctuary. 6 p.m. Dessert party follows in Youth Center.
Wednesday, December 9.
Midweek Service of Holy Communion with Advent liturgy. 12:15 p.m. Chapel. Homilist: Dr. Bill Kerley.
Thursday, December 10.
Primetimers Christmas. Gather at 10:30 a.m. Program at 11. A $7 lunch for those who RSVP by December 8 to 713-528-0527. Program: Rob Landes, pianist. Program in Parlor. Lunch in Youth Center.
Friday, December 11.
- Choir decorates gingerbread houses in Activity Center. Observers welcome between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- After-School Program Christmas Party. Late afternoon/early evening. Fondren Hall.
Saturday. December 12.
- St. Paul’s Choir Gingerbread House and Bake Sale Extravaganza. 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jones Building. Village News story about these houses - page 1, page 2.
- Kids Day Out. 10 a.m.-3 p.m. A day of games, crafts, snacks, and supervised activities for children ages four months to 5th grade. $25/child plus $5 for each additional sibling. Lunch is served. RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Third Week of Advent
Sunday, December 13.
Sights, Sounds, & Smells of Christmas for all ages. 4-6 p.m. Fondren Hall. Fun-filled evening of crafts, Santa, snacks, & music for all ages. Wesley Singers lead sing-along. For pictures from previous years, please see the Photo Galleries.
Tuesday, December 15, to Wednesday, December 23.
Las Posadas. From Abraham Station at 6 p.m., children dressed as Mary and Joseph will lead a “pilgrimage” around the sanctuary, returning to Abraham Station for reflection and a shared meal, concluding around 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday, December 16.
Midweek Service of Holy Communion with Advent liturgy. 12:15 p.m. Chapel. Homilist: Rev. Nataly Negrete.
Saturday, December 19.
Journey to Bethlehem Labyrinth Walk. Families are encouraged to visit during the morning of the Children’s Candlelight Service rehearsals. Come and go between 9 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on the outdoor Labyrinth. Introductions in the Jones Building Foyer.
Fourth Week of Advent
Sunday, December 20.
- St. Paul's Youth Strings perform in Jones Building Foyer. 9:30 to 10 a.m.
- Tamales ordered at December 6 Alternative Gift Market may be picked up from the second floor Jones Building kitchen. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Children’s Christmas Candlelight Service. 4:30 p.m. Sanctuary. For pictures of previous services, please see the Photo Galleries.
Monday, December 21
Service of the Longest Night. 6 p.m. Chapel. Homilist: Dr. Matt Russell.
Wednesday, December 23.
- Choral Scholars sing in the J.P.Morgan Chase Holiday Choral Showcase. Noon to 1 p.m. Lobby of 712 Main.
- Midweek Service of Holy Communion with Advent liturgy. 12:15 p.m. Chapel. Homilist: Rev. Terry Thompson.
Thursday, December 24.
Christmas Eve Candlelight Services. Sanctuary.
- Noon. Holy Communion.
- 4 p.m. Christmas Lessons and Carols.
- 6 p.m. Christmas Lessons and Carols.
- 8 p.m. Holy Communion.
- 10 p.m. Bi-lingual Spanish-English. Begins at 9:30 with food and Las Posadas pilgrimage around sanctuary.
First Sunday of Christmas
Sunday, Dec. 27.
One worship service at 11:05 a.m. Homilist: Rev. Dr. Bill Gandin. Children’s church and childcare will be available in the Jones Building during the service. Youth may gather in the Youth Center from 10 to 11 a.m. for fellowship and refreshments. Adult classes will meet at their option; check with yours.